OK, so there are so many multitools out there these days and I have always been a fan of Leatherman. I did however get my old trusty Leatherman taken away from me in Dublin last year at the airport…Wouldn’t even let me check it. Grrr, I thought oh well let me pick up a Gerber EVO and see how well it works.
1st off Gerber has been around for a very long time and make excellent knives and multitools. The EVO is a great multitool with a lot of nice built in features like locking the tools in place with a double lock and very nice needle-nose pliers and wire cutters.
In fact I really like the multitool a lot except for the phillips head screwdriver. Its too flat and I think that Gerber can make this a lot better on the next generation. Check out the EVO – Still a great multitool!
- Rugged and reliable design in all our products
- Can be used in various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdoor situations
- All products are field tested
- Lightweight aluminum handles
- Reduce user fatigue during extended use
- Locking components match suspension
- 14 functions for all your multi tool needs
- Spring action plier heads
All in all except for the phillips screwdriver I really like the EVO from Gerber. I would not backpack with it though as it’s just too heavy and big. usually bring a much smaller multi-tool with me into the back country to save weight. Having a multi-tool with you out there is priceless and nice to have for any gear repairs or maintenance.