Make your tax deductible donation to this fantastic charity
Here is where you can make your donation to this great cause/charity. All donations are tax deductible and we are accepting any and all from $5 to whatever you can afford.
Thanking you in advance for your kind donation
Daniel Callahan @ Trail And Mountain
Some friends of mine and I were talking about hiking the John Muir Trail and I thought what a great way to raise money for an awesome charity along the way. I have been on the John Muir Trail several times but have never through hiked the entire 222 miles from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney…The tallest peak in the continental United States
I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested I look into Big City Mountaineers. These guys take kids from broken homes, kids who are in danger of following the wrong path with drugs and alcohol, kids who do no have a positive role model in their lives and they take them out into the wilderness for a week. They work with these kids and steer them down the path to a positive life and better choices.
Here is some information and back story on Big City Mountaineers:
Big City Mountaineers transforms the lives of under-served urban youth through wilderness mentoring expeditions that instill critical life skills. We partner with community-based youth organizations and caring adult volunteers who act as mentors in the field to help young people realize their potential. Our curriculum improves integrity, self- esteem, responsibility, decision-making abilities and communication skills in close to 1,000 youth annually. BCM has a proven track record of improving young peoples’ lives with:
• Increased likeliness to stay in school
• Reduction in violence
• Reduction in drug use
BCM Weeklong Expeditions:
- Provide wilderness mentoring opportunities to under-resourced urban youth age 13 to 18
- Cultivate relationships between youth and caring adult mentors
- Offer a unique 1-to-1 ratio of adults to youth
- Improve teen self-awareness and personal responsibility
- Promote group development and effective communication
- Partner with existing youth development agencies to better address the ongoing needs of under-resourced youth.
- Deliver safe wilderness expeditions led by professional field instructors
WHO WE SERVE
- 50% are from single parent or guardian-led households;
- 83% are from families living below the poverty line;
- 10% have experienced homelessness
- 14% have experienced violence at school
In addition to adult mentors who donate a week of their lives to improve the future of the youth we serve, we also rely on the support of our Summit for Someone climbers. Without the dozens of courageous volunteers who sign up for Summit For Someone each year, BCM would cease to exist. Our SFS climbers take on two formidable commitments: mentally and physically preparing to climb one of North America’s most challenging peaks, and raising thousands of dollars. All to help improve the lives of kids they might never meet.